Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Flies In My Coffee



I don’t know if I ever properly articulate well enough when I write/talk about Peace Corps. I want to explain all of the different things I’ve experienced, and share with you all of the ridiculous stories that have come from my life here, but I’m worried they’ll be interpreted differently than I would like. 

As PCVs, we complain. Sometimes a lot. However, that doesn’t mean that we aren’t happy we’re doing what we’re doing. Our character gets tested constantly, and when we reiterate a story, it may sound pretty negative. 

However-we love our stories. 

What would this whole experience be if it weren’t for those? Right now, I could go nuclear with the flies that are incessantly landing on my face and coffee cup in this café as I wait for a bus-and ironically, as I typed that, one literally just flew into my coffee. No lie. 

I’m probably going to dump that coffee in the toilet before taking the cup downstairs to the counter. Having the owner of this café as a friend of mine means I’ll do silly little things like that to “save face.” 

Anyways, the point I’m (very inarticulately) trying to make is that I’ve come to realize that all of these little daily trifles I go through, as well as the big setbacks, are really some of the key reasons I signed up for Peace Corps. Not that I signed up so that flies could land in my coffee….but I guess rather that, one day, I’m going to consciously appreciate coffee that doesn’t have any flies in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment